disease. The goal of this project is to identify whether carrying the APOE ɛ4 allele is
associated with reduced delivery of DHA to the brain. This information will help us identify
the target population that could benefit from DHA supplementation to prevent cognitive
– Age: ≥ 60 and ≤ 80
– At least one dementia risk factor (obesity, education years, hypertension,
– Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) ≥ 25
– Logical Memory II delayed recall score ≥ 6 and ≤ 18 .
– Diagnosis of dementia as assessed by the investigator
– Use of omega-3 preparations in the last 3 months
– > 200 mg/day of DHA consumption using a validated questionnaire
– Use of donepezil, rivastigmine, galantamine and/or memantine
– Alcohol or drug abuse
– A concomitant serious disease such as active cancer treatment or HIV.
– Participation in a clinical trial in the last 30 days
– Use of anticoagulants such as Plavix or Coumadin or the newer generation blood
- USC Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, United States, 90033